Introduction: What is Granite City, St. Louis Park?
Granite City is a city located in north-central Minnesota. The United States Census Bureau ranked the city’s population at 9,735 people as of the 2010 census, which is a decrease from its population of 10,352 people reported in 2000. It is located in the center of St. Louis County and is also known as “The Park” due to its proximity to nearby Lake Superior State Park, which lies within the city limits.
Granite City, St. Louis Park was first settled in 1854 by Henry and Hester Hoppe. Early settlers were mostly farmers of German and Norwegian descent who had arrived from the western part of Minnesota because it was more fertile than the eastern part. The city originally took its name from the many granite quarries in the area. Granite City was originally known for its extensive iron ore deposits which were mined for more than 80 years until the industry declined in 1942. Granite City was officially incorporated in 1891.
Granite City Restaurants
Granite City, St. Louis Park has been home to a number of restaurants over the years. Some of the more popular restaurants which were once located in Granite City, St. Louis Park include Fort Snelling Inn, Pizza Hut and TGI Fridays. Some of the current and past Granite City, St. Louis Park restaurants include:
Granite City Restaurants
The following is a list listing of the restaurants in Granite City which have either closed, or which no longer offer the service they once did.
(Restaurant closed) [1954-2002]
Originally located in downtown St. Louis Park, Mumford’s was a favorite with many downtown residents who frequented downtown restaurants and movie theatres. Popularity of the Mumford’s Restaurant grew to include patrons from neighboring communities who also enjoyed its fine food, friendly service and family-style atmosphere. When the property was sold, the restaurant moved to a new location at 95th Street & Excelsior Boulevard. Shortly thereafter it closed and became a private club.
M & M Bar & Grill
(Restaurant closed) [1980s-1990s]
Granite City Breweries
Granite City, St. Louis Park was also home to a number of breweries over the years as well. The Granite City Brewing Company was established in 1887 and remained in business until approximately 1985. Other family owned breweries which were located in Granite City, St. Louis Park include: The Park Brewery (8th Street & Chicago Avenue; founded in 1900; ceased operations in 1898); The Beaumont Brewery (at the corner of Hennepin Avenue & N. 8th Street); and The Granite City Club Brewery, Ltd. (8th Street & Hennepin Avenue; founded in 1901; ceased operations by January 1909).
* These listings were added by Spenser Hostettler on 4/9/12.
Two Minneapolis breweries were named Granite City. These were the first two breweries in Minnesota to be built of steel and glass (Granite City Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, MI; Granite City Brewing Co., Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN).
—– * later * —–
Granite City Bars and Clubs
Granite City, St. Louis Park has also been home to a number of bars and clubs over the years including: -Bobkat Lounge, previously known as the Oasis Bar and formerly Granite City’s only gay bar
-Buffalo Wild Wings Bar & Grill in the Granite City Commons
-Carson’s Corner, formerly known as Carson’s Sports Pub
-Chili Pepper, formerly known as Molly Malone’s Irish Pub and The Roaring 20s Prohibition Lounge.
-Club Jager, a dance club on the east end of Granite City.
-Ed’s Tavern, formerly known as Ed’s Sports Bar and Metro Bar, was a bar and restaurant that featured live band karaoke most Sunday nights.
-Fatty’s Bar and Grill, previously known as The Deck